What is Personally Identifiable Information
“Personally identifiable information” is information that we can use to identify you as an individual. Personally identifiable information includes your name, address, telephone number and any other information that is connected with you personally.
Collection of Personally Identifiable Information
Humans of University generally collects personally identifiable information with your specific knowledge and consent. For instance, when you enter a sweepstakes or contest, complete a survey, register for those portions of our sites that may require registration, make a purchase, participate in our social networking features, subscribe to our newsletters, and other electronic services you will be asked to provide information such as your e-mail address, name, phone number, and shipping address. Information such as your age, gender, hobbies or interests may also be requested. This information may sometimes be collected by third party service providers with whom Humans of University contracts to host the web site or to fulfill requests for services; in that event, Humans of University asks such service providers to make the personal information available only to Humans of University for Humans of University to use in accordance with the terms of this policy and not to use the information for any other purpose. Humans of University uses this information to provide you with the service you have requested. We might also send out e-mails to users and sweepstakes/contest entrants to announce special offers, services and announcements from our sites and/or our advertisers.
We may use information you provide us through emails, Q & A, blogs, comments, surveys, in response to polls, or though any other user-generated submission for editorial purposes, and may use your name and any stories you provide us in articles published online or on other platforms. Please be advised that any such submissions become the property of Humans of University and may be used by Humans of University for any lawful purpose. If you provide us with personal anecdotes, they may be attributed to you. Humans of University can edit, rewrite, use, and reuse the content, including your name, likeness, photograph, and biographical information you provide, in any way and any media whether now known or invented in the future, with or without attribution, including but not limited to publication on the website, and in trade media, and advertising. You agree that any content you send us will not violate any rights of any third party and that you will only send us content for which you own the rights.
Some of our applications and mobile-optimized sites may have location-based features. For those features, we will collect your geographic location and, depending on the application, other information you provide us to enable you to enjoy the service being offered. For example, we may offer shopping features that allows you to get information about local merchants or travel features that allows you to locate nearby sights and destinations. We will use your location to serve relevant content, and your information may be shared with third party retailers and other facilities as applicable to allow you to take advantage of the particular service being offered.
In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your personal information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we would endeavor to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail.
In addition to the foregoing, Humans of University may share or disclose personally identifiable information about you to other companies or individuals when:
- we utilize third party service providers to provide products, services or functions on our behalf (such as sending emails or processing credit cards or fulfilling subscriptions), and ask these service providers to agree to maintain the confidentiality of your personally identifiable information and not to use your personally identifiable information for any reason except to carry out the purpose(s) for which we hired them;
- You have entered a contest or sweepstakes sponsored by a third party, in which case the information may be shared with that third party for their use in their discretion, including direct marketing (Some of our contests and sweeps will ask you at the time of entry whether you would like your personal information to be shared with the sponsor. Other contests will not give you that option and in that event, if you do not want your information to be shared, you should not enter the contest);
- the entity to whom the information is disclosed is one under control of, or under common control with Humans of University (for these purposes, a company controlling 20% or more of the voting stock of another entity shall be deemed to control such entity);
- the entity to whom the information is disclosed is hosting web sites associated with our websites, other than those web sites covered by this policy;
- the entity to whom the information is disclosed has affiliated with us to publish a website or furnish services associated with a website;
- you have furnished us personal information with the intent that it be forwarded to a third party for use in connection with a specified service you are electing to participate in (examples include, without limitation, e-commerce partners, services to help old friends locate you online, etc.);
- we need to protect our legal rights (for example, if we are trying to collect money you owe us);
- we must comply with applicable laws, regulations, or legal or regulatory process;
- we have reason to believe that someone may be causing injury to someone or interfering with our rights or the rights of our users, or general public, or using our services in violation of a legal or personal right; or
- in connection with a sale, merger, transfer, exchange, or other disposition (whether of assets, stock, or otherwise) of all or a portion of the business conducted by the web sites to which this policy applies.
Our cookies may contain personally identifiable information and such cookies may be shared with others to the same extent indicated above.
Some of our advertisers may serve you cookies as well. We do not have control over cookies placed by advertisers.
Your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address is usually associated with the place from which you enter the Internet, like your Internet Service Provider, your company or your university. Our server may also record the referring page that linked you to us (e.g., another Web site or a search engine); the pages you visit on our sites, the Web site you visit after this Web Site; the ads you see; the ads you click on; other information about the type of Web browser, computer, platform, related software and settings you are using; any search terms you have entered on this Web Site or a referral site; and other Web usage activity and data logged by our Web servers. We may use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our servers, gather broad demographic information, and administer our website. We may also link this information with your personal information when we feel that it is necessary to enforce compliance with our rules and policies or terms of service or to protect our Sites, customers or others.
If the email address you provide to us is a wireless email address, you agree to receive messages at such address from Humans of University. You understand that your wireless carrier’s standard rates apply to these messages. You represent that you are the owner or authorized user of the wireless device on which messages will be received, and that you are authorized to approve the applicable charges.
Short Message Services and Wireless Internet
We may make available services through which you can receive messages on your phone or wireless device via short message service (“SMS Service”) or wireless internet (“WAP Services”). We may also make available content and versions of our websites available via WAP and mobile phone service. If you subscribe to one of our SMS, WAP or mobile services, you thereby agree to receive such service at the address you provide for such purposes. Such messages may come from Humans of University, or from third parties who we believe may have goods or services of interest to you (unless you have elected not to receive such messages at the time you subscribe). Our wireless carriers and providers are not responsible for the content of our wireless services or any of the messages you may receive from us.
You acknowledge and agree that the SMS, WAP and mobile services are provided via wireless systems which use radios (and other means) to transmit communications over complex networks. We do not guarantee that your use of such services will be private or secure, and we are not liable to you for any lack of privacy or security you may experience. You are fully responsible for taking precautions and providing security measures best suited for your situation and intended use of the services. We may also access the content of your account and wireless account with your carrier for the purpose of identifying and resolving technical problems and service-related complaints.
By signing up for any SMS, WAP or mobile service, you consent to receiving, from time to time, further messages which may include news, promotions and offers from us, our affiliates and partners. Please follow the instructions provided to you by third parties to unsubscribe from their messages.
In addition to ads that we serve you directly, we use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our websites. Both we and our advertising companies may use information about your visits to this website and other sites you may visit to serve ads to you. In the course of serving advertisements to you, a unique third-party cookie may be placed or recognized on your browser. In addition, we and our advertising companies may use Web beacons to help manage our online advertising. These Web beacons enable us and our third-party ad serving companies to recognize a browser’s cookie when a browser visits this site and to learn which banner ads bring users to our website and to serve you ads that you may find of interest elsewhere on the internet. Both Humans of University and these companies may use information (not including your names, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to these sites and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by other companies, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp. Ads in our videos may be served by an ad partner. You can find out more about our video ads by visiting http://www.yume.com/privacy.php.
Kids And Parents
The sites covered by this policy are not intended for use by children, especially those under age 13. No one under age 13 is allowed to provide any personal information or use our public discussion areas, forums and chats. To subscribe to newsletters and to participate in other activities where personal information is divulged on our teen oriented sites, you must be 13 or older. Minors between the ages of 13 and 17 should get the permission of their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) before subscribing to any services on our sites. Some areas of our sites require that you identify yourself by age category when registering and in those areas, if you register as an adult, you represent that you are 18 years of age or older.
If your children disclose information about themselves in our public discussion areas, they may get unsolicited messages from other parties. Accordingly, you should tell them not to do so. There are also commercially available tools to help you limit your children’s exposure to material online.
Blogs, Video and other user-generated Postings; Social Networking
If you elect to post material to any blogs, forums, participate in our social networking channels or other community boards that may be offered on our sites, or if you elect to upload any photographs, audio or video, you will be solely responsible for all content, messages, text, files, images, graphics, photos, audio clips, sounds, video or other materials (the “Postings”). You agree and warrant that any Postings you post to the sites will be true and accurate, will not defame any person or invade any person’s privacy, and will not infringe the proprietary rights of any person. You agree not to furnish any Postings to which you do not own the rights. By furnishing Postings, you give Humans of University the right to use such Postings in any manner and in any media now known or hereafter invented, including, without limitation, the right to combine your Postings with Postings of third parties in varied combinations. You also acknowledge that visitors to the sites may post comments about your Postings which may be derogatory, and that Humans of University has no obligation to monitor or delete any such postings.
Please be aware that Humans of University does not and cannot monitor all of the Postings made to the sites, and therefore Humans of University will not be responsible for the content of any Postings. Humans of University has no obligation to verify the accuracy of any personally indentifying information that is posted to our sites. However, Humans of University does reserve the right to delete or edit any material in any Posting that is obscene, harassing, offensive or otherwise objectionable and not in keeping with the community standards of the Magazines and websites and to terminate access to the sites to offenders of the guidelines. If Humans of University elects to edit any Postings, it nonetheless assumes no responsibility for the content of the Postings. Under no circumstances will Humans of University be liable for any inaccuracy or defect in any Postings. We also expect our users to adhere to certain rules of the road. Therefore, you agree not to post, email, or otherwise make available Postings:
- that are unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, pornographic, libelous, or invasive of another’s privacy, or harmful to minors in any way;
- that harass, degrade, intimidate or are hateful toward an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, or disability;
- that include personal or identifying information about another person without that person’s explicit consent.
- that are false, deceptive, misleading, deceitful, misinformative, constitute “bait and switch” or impersonation of any person or entity;
- contain your own or a third party’s advertising, branding or promotional content;
- that infringe any proprietary rights, including copyright, of any party, or Postings that you do not have a right to make available;
- restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Humans of University sites or the Humans of University services offered on them;
- that include your personal information, such as telephone number, street address, last name, URL or email address;
- that are “cut and paste” private messages from other users;
- that re-broadcast any posting that violates these terms.
Because Humans of University does not monitor the Postings, you agree to use and rely on them at your own risk. Humans of University cannot make any representation or warranty about the material contained in the Postings. Humans of University likewise assumes no responsibility for any contact you may have with other users of our sites, either online or offline. If you elect to meet in person with someone you may meet on our sites, you do so at your own risk, and under no circumstances will Humans of University be liable for any activity or injury that may occur.
Notice Regarding Online Behavioral Advertising.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our Web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit www.networkadvertising.org.
If you are located outside of Canada, please note that the information you provide to us will be transferred to Canada. By using this web site, you consent to this transfer. You also consent to the adjudication of any disputes arising in connection with this website in the federal and state courts of, and in accordance with the laws of Canada Ontario.
Please note that all paid subscriptions on our website are non-refundable. You could however cancel your subscription anytime so you won’t be charged the following month.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.