Being a new student can be overwhelming. There is so much to do and see, and picking and choosing what you want to do can be difficult. So, to simplify it, here are 10 things that every Penn State student should do their first week to get acquainted with the campus.
1. Explore the arboretum
Check out the caterpillar sculpture, and maybe even participate in one of the many events held there, such as yoga.
2. Eat ice cream at the Berkey Creamery
Try a seasonal flavor, or go with a well loved one like death by chocolate.
3. Take a picture with the nittany lion at The Nittany Lion Shrine
And when you graduate take one in the same spot!
4. Eat a meal in downtown PSU
Try the Tavern Restaurant or the Federal Taphouse
5. Visit the bookstore and get required class materials (as well as another Penn State sweatshirt)
A phone wallet is also handy to bring your ID around in.
6. Decorate your dorm room
Go to the local Walmart and downtown Target for inspiration and cheap dorm decor.
7. Go to the HUB
Get Starbucks, or enjoy one of the many food options offered there.
8. Eat ice cream at the Berkey Creamery (Did I mention this already?)
Remember that combining flavors is NOT allowed, so to try more than one flavor you’re going to have to visit the creamery a second* time.
9. Workout at the IM building
The new gym has state of the art equipment, as well as a full indoor track and a racquetball courts.
10. Read a book from the Pattee and Paterno Library
Not only can you checkout your textbooks here, but there are also hundreds of books to choose from to read.
Be sure to take a map, as the campus is big, and if you get tired of walking, catch a bus on the blue or white loop. Now that you have this list of things to do, get up and get out there! WE ARE!!
*Or third, fourth, and fifth…